Monday, September 21, 2009

The beginning . . . sort of


Well, today is about week 16 of my pregnancy. And I have been meaning to start a chronicle of everything. So, here is a quick recap of the first trimester. (BTW, here is me, about 5 weeks pregnant with no idea at all on our 4th of July camping trip)

I found out I was pregnant on July 31st (my SIL's birthday). I
took Curtis to the park and told him, and he was really excited from the beginning.

I self diagnosed with all sorts of weird ailments before coming to the conclusion (after 5 or so pregnancy tests) that we were, in fact, pregnant. In the beginning, I was convinced that I had Celiac disease--I knew that there was something weird going on in my belly, so I checked my symptoms and that seemed to fit. Seems crazy now. Then, once I found out I was pregnant, I just knew I was having twins. My second trip to the OB (on my 25th birthday!!!) let me know, that indeed, I was wrong. One baby, healthy heartbeat. Thanks goodness. What a great gift. We started telling our friends that night.

As far as pregnancy symptoms go, I seem to have them all. First and foremost, I noticed my intense increase in my sense of smell. I can smell everything . I can tell if you have been in a room in the past hour or so, I know what you ate for lunch, everything. Its the weirdest thing ever. I could even smell tequila in a man's drink across the lawn at our tailgate this weekend. So strange!
Also, I have been really, really sick. You know how they talk about morning sickness. Well, I have all day and all night sickness. It--along witht the lack of sleep that comes with waking up 7 or 8 times a night to tinkle--makes me really cranky. Which brings me to my list of likes and dislikes:

Like: How Curtis smells, clean laundry, showers and baths, white bread toast with butter, icees, Jimmy Johns vegetarian sandwiches, oreos and milk (but only when eaten with a fork), lavender (which I normally dispise) and things that smell like cinnamon, Glade currants and acai candles (the best smell in the entire world right now).
Dislike: pretty much every food, especially raw vegetables, candy, pizza, hot pockets, chex cereal, cheese, fruit, Mexican food, Taco bell, people outing me on my pregnancy before I am ready to tell people, football, being around people that are drinking (because my biggest craving has been alcohol, though I haven't indulged!), riding in a car, taking out the trash (oh, the smell) and a variety of other things.

I don't have as much of a bump as I thought I would have by now. Since I have been really sick, I haven't been gaining much weight. But, it wasn't always like this. In week, ten I was certain that I was showing and everyone would be able to tell. I think all the rumors about pregnancy brain are true--even as I am writing all of this, I realize that I sound crazy.

Our next doctor's appointment is on Friday. I know that Curtis can't wait to find out if we are having a boy or a girl, but I think its still a little too early to tell. More to come later when I figure out how to put up some more pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment